Friday, August 6, 2010

Starcraft II problems

I got a guest pass for Starcraft II from David and I couldn't wait to start playing. But is is not meant to be yet.
This should be a very easy process - install Starcraft II, patch it up, sign up on Battle.net and play for 7 hours straight.



If you do get a guest pass you should also borrow friend's DVD and install the game. I did that and that was OK even if it took a while. Before install make sure you have 12 GB free on hard disk. BTW my UT 3 install is about the same size but includes CBPs 1-4 and number of downloaded maps...

After install if goes automatically to download the patch 1.01 so it would not fry your graphics card. This is also a nice feature. And this is where it went wrong for me. Download of the patch stopped at 64% and would not go any further. Then I tried to patch it up at work but also no joy. Firstly I had to let it through the firewall but still it didn't get updated. Next thing to try was to repair installation of Startcraft II. That didn't help. To force restart of the patch download I have deleted content of the C:\\StarCraft II\Updates folder and it did start download from the beginning. Then I'm back to issue with only 64% of download completed. 

OK, I'll download the patch myself thank you very much! But this didn't work either. Just now I have found a thread on Battle.net forum about this and possible workaround. If you have the same problem go here to see it.

I'll try this workaround from Savbot when I get home.


1) first of all you will need to Download a Torrent Downloader program, in my case i used uTorrent.
2) install uTorrent.
3) go into you Starcraft 2 directory, and you will see 6x torrent files. These are the torrent files that Blizzard Downloader created for download of the patch content.
4) now open those torrent file with uTorrent, and download the patch content through uTorrent rather then through Blizzard Downloader (which NEVER works btw).
5) after all the files have downloaded go into where the files have downloaded to usually under user/downloads.
6) look for a file called updates (this is the patch content for 1.0.1)
7) copy and paste the updates folder into you Starcraft 2 directory.
8) Run game, and the game will do the rest.


An update about actuall game may come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like this? Intrigued? Disagree? Have your say here.